I mentioned in a post yesterday that I was looking for a programming languages database with this minimum info:
- Programming language name (and family if it has one .i.e. OCaml and the ML family of languages)
- When it first appeared (anywhere outside of someone’s mind), and when it was first published (if ever)
- Designer and anyone else involved and level of involvement.
- some tags (ie paradigm, typed or untyped?, etc)
- Influenced by / influenced.
I got some good responses on twitter, thanks to all of you who responded. The one closest was this one from Dmitry Geurkov (@dgeurkov)
Where he links to the visualisation below. Make sure to follow the source as you can click on the nodes to see the influence of any language shown there.
This link lead to the freebase db. Very close to what I was looking for. I see a need to be able to amplify this information with extra details. Such details should depend on the language.
And this one by O’Reilly Large pdf
Following links from the last site, I found these other very promising links:
Indirectly I also found:
Finally, I found the timeline from the computer history museum.
I was pretty sad to see so many dead links.
Until the next time.